Wednesday, November 16, 2011

NaBloPoMo: Adulthood

When is the moment that you leave childhood and enter adulthood?

This is an odd question that can't really have just one simple answer. Some may say that you become an adult when you turn 18. Maybe when you graduate high school? When you move out? When you become a parent?In my opinion, I think adulthood depends on your maturity level. Ten years ago, I was over the age of 18, but when I think of some of the things I did, I'm wondering what the Hell I was thinking? I think there just comes a point in your life where something just changes inside of you. You realize that the immature drama isn't worth your time or effort any more. You grow up mentally and learn to enjoy the small things and take care of your responsibilities. You learn to stop sweating the small stuff and that you are stronger than you thought you were. That's what adulthood means to me.

Despite that above paragraph, I do have to admit that even at my age (all I'm saying is that it starts with a 3.. but what's the second number? hmm), I sometimes don't feel like a grownup. I still feel like that lost kid that I used to be. I still get shy and scared in new situations. I still act silly and immature some times when I'm in a good mood. Sometimes I even stop and think, "wow someone my age doesn't act like that, do they??". But I know when to be serious.

Funny how when we are kids, we can't wait to grow up. Then we grow up and wish we could be a kid again.




No comments: