Thursday, November 17, 2011

NaBloPoMo: My Crushes

Make a list of everyone you have ever had a crush on in your life. Choose one from that list and describe him in great detail.

This one is gonna be fun! Ok, so I didn't make a list, because, really, that would have taken me all night! I started out having crushes at a very young age. The youngest I remember is Pre-school with a kid named Joey! That's not who I picked, though. My biggest and longest crush is actually someone semi-famous. His name is Philip Anselmo. He's a singer in my all time favorite band ever, Pantera. I've had a crush on him since I was 16 or 17 years old. I can't even explain what it is about him. First of all, I think he is absolutely just gorgeous. Covered with tattoos. His voice is very deep and manly. He tells it like it is and doesn't care who or what doesn't like it. I've been obsessed with him for almost half my life! ha! I saw his band live 4 times when I was younger. In 2006, I won backstage passes. I didn't believe it until I had the passes in my hand (btw, I still have the pass and autographed photo framed in my house!). After the concert, we headed backstage. I was like 19 years old, shy, quiet, awkward, surrounded by a bunch of beautiful groupie type chicks. I met the guitarist first (R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell), he was super nice and even teased me about being so shy. Then HE came out. Phil came out. I thought my heart stopped when I saw him standing in front of me. All of these groupies were running up to him asking him to sign their cleavage while I stood back and patiently waited my turn. OMG I love to tell this story! First of all, he wasn't paying any attention to the groupies. He would give them an autograph and not even speak to them. I don't know why, who, or what reason, but he spotted ME. I mean, like he stopped what he was doing and walked directly over to me, signed my band photo that I had with  me... then gave me a hug and kissed me on the cheek. Ohhh Emmm Geeee (ok, I only say that in severely sarcastic moments, btw). It was a moment I will never ever, ever, forget.

I followed everything he did. He died from a Heroin overdose, but was brought back to life not long after I met him. A few years later, Pantera broke up, mostly due to drugs and everything bands like that go through. In 2003, his guitarist was shot and killed on stage only a few hours from me in Columbus. I remember watching videos of Phil crying over his friend's death and to this day, I still can't watch it without getting choked up. ....

Anyway, so he has been in a few other bands since then. His big band now is called DOWN. I've been dreaming for years that Down would play somewhere close around here. I knew they were scheduled to play in Michigan back in September... but wasn't sure about going up there since I dont know much about the area. That show was cancelled and ended up being moved to Dayton. I had a friend who also had a big crush on him, so I got ahold of her and we decided that we were going to do this!! This just happened on September 20th of this year. We drove 2 1/2 hours down to Dayton to see Down play. The place was packed, but somehow, we ended up inching our way up to the front row before they went on. We were in the front but kinda of at the side of the stage, and Phil came out literally right next to me. I have a photo of him pointing directly at me, lol! I was just mesmerized the entire time, couldnt' believe after all of these years, he was right that close in front of me again. I got some great photos and at the end, he grabbed my hand from the stage. I really never wanted to wash it again, but, we know that's not possible, lol. After the show, my friend and I waited out by their tour bus for like an hour, but he never came out. The other guys in the band came out, but not him. Can't blame him though, he would have been mobbed if he would have come out. I really, really, wanted to meet him again. My dream is to just be able to sit down and talk with him, hang out with him a little bit. Not that it will ever happen, but a woman can dream, right?


A stock photo of my crush.


My crush on stage, September 20, 2011 in Dayton.


No comments: